Getting started....

Ok, let's see how well this goes. I told myself I would never get into blogging or tweeting!



Since graduating college I have started to enjoy cooking A LOT! I love finding new recipes to try. So as I find and try new recipes I will post on here for you guys to try and let you know which ones I would not recommend! Most of my recipes come from online websites with a little tweaking of my own.



**NEW FEATURE** At the bottom of each recipe there is a place where you can rate the recipe! Let me know if you just liked it, loved it or thought it was just ok. No hard feelings! Promise :-)





Enjoy!



Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rugelach

Rugelach is a traditional Jewish food that is eaten any time of year, including, but not limited to Shabbat 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade (optional)
  • 1/2 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon water

Directions

  1. Combine cottage cheese and 1 cup of butter in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, then gradually stir in the flour. Dough will be sticky. Divide dough into thirds and wrap with waxed paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  2. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  3. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of butter with the brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans, and raisins. Set aside. Roll one ball of dough at a time to a 9 inch circle on a floured surface, while keeping the remaining dough chilled. Cut the circle into wedges.  Spread 1 tablespoon of the optional orange marmalade over the circle. Gently press 1/3 of the nut mixture into the dough.  Roll each wedge tightly, starting with the wide end. Place the cookie point-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Beat the egg white with the water in a small bowl, then brush the mixture onto each cookie.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Looks interesting. I think I'm going to have to try this one too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete